- Original title: Habaneros
- Direction: Julien Temple
- Production: Richard Conway, Andrew J. Curtis
- Photography: Stephen Organ
- Edition: Caroline Richards
- Country: United Kingdom
- Year: 2017
- Duration: 136'
- Language: English, Spanish
- Web: thefestivalagency.com/movies/detail/1188 National Premiere
Julien Temple returns with this homage to the rich cultural history of Cuba. A range of rare archive footage takes us through the country’s extraordinary past, to the brink of an exciting new presence on the global scale. With the city of Havana finally returning to the world stage, thrust under the spotlight most recently by the demise of its iconic leader, Fidel Castro, this is the definitive story.
Julien Temple (London, 1953), filmmaker and director of music videos, began his remarkable career directing the documentary of the Sex Pistols, The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle (1979). He studied at King’s College, Cambridge and in the eighties became one of the directors of music videos most recognized for his work with figures such as The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and David Bowie. Currently, he is considered a cult director for works such as London: The Modern Babylon (2012) or Requiem for Detroit (2009).
- Habaneros (2017).
- The Origin of the Species (2016).
- The Clash: New Year’s Day ‘77 (2015).
- The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson (2015).
- Rio 50 Degrees: Carry on CaRIOca (2014).
- London: The Modern Babylon (2012).
- Dave Davies. Kingdom Come (2011).
- Ray Davies. Imaginary Man (2010).
- Oil City Confidential (2009).
- Requiem for Detroit (2009).
- The Sex Pistols: There’ll Always Be an England (2008).
- The Eternity Man (2008).
- Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten (2007).
- Glastonbury (2006).
- The Filth and the Fury (2000).
- Pandæmonium (2000).
- Vigo: A Passion for Life (1998).
- Bullet (1996).
- Stones at the Max (1991).
- Earth Girls Are Easy (1988).
- Running Out of Luck (1987).
- Aria (segment Rigoletto) (1987).
- Absolute Beginners (1986).
- It’s All True (1983).
- Mantrap (1983).
- The Secret Policeman’s Other Ball (1982).
- Samson: Biceps of Steel (1980).
- The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle (1979).
- UK Subs: Punk Can Take It (1979).
- IDFA International Documentary Filmfestival of Amsterdam (2017).
- Doc Fortnight The Museum of Modern Art MoMA’s International Festival of Nonfiction Film and Media (2017).